The main purpose of the role of HGV Class 1 Driver is to deliver company products to customers in a safe and timely manner.
The HGV Class 1 Driver is to ensure that Company products are delivered in a professional manner. Adhere to Working Time Directive and responsible for ensuring all safety aspects are met.
Where necessary the HGV Class 1 Driver will be required to carry out other duties within the warehouse & distribution department.
Applications welcome from Ex-Military personnel
(Royal Air Force, Royal Navy, British Army, and Royal Marines)
- Ensure that daily vehicle checks are carried out and any defects are duly reported, ensuring the vehicle and its load are road-worthy and do not pose a threat to other road-users.
- Vehicle keys are not to be left in ignition unattended and must be handed back into transport at the end of your shift.
- During loading/unloading you are required to clear any obstructions such as bars or straps.
- Loads to be checked ensuring the load is safe, secure and straps provided are used.
- Correct PPE to be worn when carrying out such duties.
- In line with Misuse Policy, random drug and alcohol testing will be conducted on occasions.
- Always respect other road users, always abide by highway regulations.
- You will abide by the EU Tachograph rules at all times.
- You will be required to drive to your 9-hour daily drive where necessary to enable you to return to base, this will be monitored to ensure no driver is taking unnecessary “nights out” when drive-time is available.
- Tachograph cards to be inserted into the downloader at the end of every working week for digital scanning. Tachograph printouts to be retained for 28 days before being handed in to the manager’s office.
- Transport require that any infringement must be recorded on the reverse of your printout and made available to the transport for copying
- It is the driver’s responsibility to make sure his/her driving licence and driving and CPC card are all kept in date.
- Periodic checks of driving licence will be conducted.
- Cabs to be maintained to a clean and habitable level and the general upkeep and outward appearance of both tractor and trailer is to be constantly regulated.
- Intermittent security checks will be carried out on vehicles, trailers and lockers in line with company stop and search procedure.
- Drivers are to wear uniforms provided, a smart appearance is expected. Shorts, light denim jeans are not allowed.
- Make sure you abide by customers rules and regulations whilst on site.
- Always act in a polite and courteous manor when on Company business.
- Deliveries- Transport allow 1-hour tipping time at site, drivers must report to the transport office if they are waiting over the stated book in time, or if they have been advised by the customer they are being held longer than anticipated.
- Any rejections or discrepancies with deliveries you must inform the transport office before you leave their site.
- Loads to be checked against the delivery paperwork prior to departure, also ensuring the load is safe and stock undamaged.
- Check that delivery notes are checked and signed for by the customer, any discrepancies with deliveries must be also noted on delivery paperwork and the transport office are informed. (As per returns procedure)
- Vehicles & Trailers to be checked for cleanliness.
- Driver must keep all licences up to date and must inform transport office of any changes.
- If it is not possible to meet a booking time the transport office must be informed at least 60 mins before booking time, this is the drivers responsibility and is absolutely crucial for customer relations and to reduce our non-conformance performance.
- Report all accidents to transport office immediately.
Continued Professional Development
- Telematics Training
- Tachograpgh Training
- Driver CPC Training
Skills & Experience
- Valid Full HGV Class 1 Licence
- Driver CPC Card